In the heart of Sydney’s business district lies a monument to Australia’s first school and church. Built by The Revd. Richard Johnson in 1793 out of mud bricks with a thatched roof. The building was only around for five short years before it burned down in 1798.
The monument stands today over shadowed by large high rises on a paved park with a couple benches and a few sparse trees. As an added bonus there is an old street lamp post located in the same park.